January 25, 2010

Kitsune from xxxHolic

Yet another project just completed. This is from a pattern off deviant art as well. It is a pipe fox (kitsune) from xxxHolic (the anime). It was pretty tough to make for something that looks so simple. I hand sewed the entire thing. (don't think I will next time though) It is made from one 40inch long tube that was stuffed with a second 40 inch long tube that contains the fluff and a strong beading wire so that it can be posed. Stuffing the thing was the hardest part. Basically I couldn't simply shove the stuffing tube into the other one since it was a tight fit and it was sooooo long, so I had to open the tail, insert a bent hanger, attach it to a hoop on the end of the tail of the inside stuffing tube and pull it through the outside body tube (like they do when putting wires underground). Then the head was sewn on. I really ended up liking the fabric i picked too, its not the same fur as the tutorial called for, but it's really soft and the back side of it is this suede brown so the underside of the ears is cute! He's my new favorite scarf!

Brain Slug Hat

I have been awful crafty of late... This is a good friend of mine modeling a new hat I created. I made a bunch of tiny crocheted brain slugs from a pattern off deviant art for my friends... this hat resulted from a request to make a large one that could eat your whole head. All I did was make the pattern really big and sized to fit. (And of course I left the bottom off so that it could go over ones head) Pretty cute. Sucks that most of the things I've made lately have been for others.

January 18, 2010


Socktopus is my latest completed project. Took me about a month total to crochet all parts of this toy. I saw a post somewhere on the internet about an octopus with socks on his feet. Its basically a good leftover yarn consuming project. Each leg has a different sock. And, No, there is no pattern for this because I made it up as I went along. Each leg I think is 10sc around except for where I decreased and increased to make it look like a sucker pad on the end of the legs... they are slightly different lengths, but you can't tell, at least I hope you cannot. After I did the first I simply held the rest next to it to get the length. I also found it was easier to stuff as I went along rather than try to shove fluff all the way down the tube. For the head I followed a sphere pattern I found online and doubled the sc until I felt it would be big enough. I did most of the circle stuffed it and then sewed the legs on with more of the same yarn around the hole at the bottom of the head sphere. Then after all the legs were on I began to crochet again, after stuffing it full, starting at the head then doing a couple crochets through a leg, then back into the head, then in a couple in the next leg... etc... all the way around. That way the legs and the head became more of one piece. After that, since this toy was given as a baby toy to a friend of mine, I decided to sew the legs and head together more just so the legs cant be too easily ripped off. In the end I think it turned out pretty well. And now of course I want one, so I guess another will be in order...eventually.