October 1, 2012

Daleks: Round 2

So I mentioned in an update that I would be revisiting my Dalek crochet pattern. My brother, who's birthday is rather soon, asked for one. I thought it would be nice to make it in time for this occasion.

He said white dalek. I assumed the one pictured below and got to work.

One of the first things I noticed between this one and the last was that this one, being two toned, meant I needed to come up with a solution for how to do those gold dots in the middle of white rows. I had two thoughts: 1) make a ton of crochet circles and sew them all on a finished body or 2) figure a way to crochet two colors at the same time but not have the gold show until I needed it to. I went with the latter idea. I created the body as normal following the pattern as before, but once I got to the part where the colored dot things start I added my second gold color to the mix. Using the white yarn, I established the chain for the popcorn stitch rows (which make the bumps) and when it was time to popcorn, I switched yarns. I was careful to keep the white on the outside of the piece when not using it, and the gold towards my body so that it remained inside the piece. Once I created the popcorn, I secured it with a chain in white and then continued the next three double crochet in white to create the space between each bump. Switching back and forth made an interesting look on the inside, but the outside was what I wanted! Obviously this would not work for a flat item, but since it would be stuffed the inside look did not matter.

Inside. That length is the space where double crochets were.

Outside. Look, no lines!

Switching colors for a popcorn.
Of course I got the whole body done, before I thought what if that isn't the right one?

Body done, unstuffed, no details on the arms or bottom. Guess its kind of a hat right now.
Sure enough, he wanted the new white dalek from the more recent season. Which of course, after you look at it, has different head, neck and eyelights. Still two toned though so I knew I could use my new yarn switching method.
New white dalek has different neck fins, no panels, and a foot pad.

Since this one has large sections of black and white I felt that I could a) not use the old pattern shape and b) switch yarn more often. I used a row of single crochet, followed by a row of back post single crochet to get the kind of neck vent look. Every time I switched colors for a new section I also used the back post single crochet to get that clean hard line between colors. Then I used that switching colors for the popcorns. I left the last row be a double crochet row in black to get that foot thing. Then made the bottom piece in black as well and used a single crochet to attach them together to get a kind of lip for it to stand with.

New and old for comparison.

 Of course I again made the plunger arm and manipulator arm, tried to make a gun face gun thing, and then embroidered the eyelights on since these are a lot more streamlined than the old lightbulb looking ones.

Neck vent texture, arms and face gun thing.

Another cute dalek out the door to EXTERMINATE!
The forlorn half finished one I have plans to finish at some point and make into a Christmas time Dalek. Because it seems absurd to me. :)

No comments: